MECHANISMS FOR THE DETECTION OF THE PLAGIARISM, PREVENTION AND COUNTER MEASURES
Article 1. General Provisions
- This Rule (hereinafter referred to as the "Rule") defines the mechanisms for the prevention of violations of the principles of academic good faith at LEPL Gori State Teaching University (hereinafter "Gori University"), as well as in case of violation, its detection and response mechanisms.
- Gori University adheres to the principles of intellectual property and this rule aims to prevent misappropriation of someone else’s work in any form.
- It is the duty of the staff and students of Gori University to respect the intellectual property of others, to adhere to the principles of academic good faith and to take care of the reputation and prestige of the institution.
- This rule establishes the norms of plagiarism awareness, plagiarism prevention, detection mechanisms and response at Gori University.
Article 2. Plagiarism, self-plagiarism, falsification
- Any kind of appropriation and distribution of someone else’s intellectual work, text, idea, concept, visual, audio material, or any kind of data without the indication of the author is not admissible (plagiarism).
- It is prohibited to reuse one’s own work without indicate the original source (self-plagiarism).
- It is forbidden to falsify data, information or citations in an academic paper (falsification).
Article 3. Informing about plagiarism
- Academic educational programs of Gori University provide for compulsory training courses, which include issues of academic good faith.
- This rule is available on the website of the University and it is a mandatory document at the time of signing the contract.
Article 4. Prevention of plagiarism
- Prevention of plagiarism includes several aspects:
A) When concluding the contract, the staff and the student are obliged to get acquainted with the regulations defined by this rule.
B) Raising student self-awareness within the compulsory training course of the educational program;
C) Organizing information meetings on the topic of plagiarism and conducting an information campaign on sanctions in case of plagiarism;
- Articles published in the scientific journals of the University are checked in the electronic program of anti-plagiarism, which has a preventive effect on students and academic staff.
- In order to raise awareness about plagiarism and prevent it, there is an information field on plagiarism and academic good faith on the website of Gori University, where the internal regulatory documents of the university and information materials are posted.
Article 5. Mechanisms for detecting plagiarism
- The main mechanisms for detecting plagiarism are the findings of a lecturer, thesis supervisor, reviewer, and anti-plagiarism electronic program.
- All scientific articles, publications, reports, textbooks, master's theses published by Gori University are subject to mandatory verification of plagiarism in the electronic program of anti-plagiarism. Material verification is provided by Gori University Library.
Article 6. Mechanisms for Responding to Plagiarism
- In case of plagiarism in master's thesis, supervisor of the master's thesis is obliged to state the mentioned circumstance in the thesis report, issue a negative recommendation on admission to the public defense and inform the dean of the faculty.
- If the anti-plagiarism electronic program detects a textual coincidence in the research component of the master's thesis, within the framework of the master's program, a supervisor checks and prepares a report on the existence of plagiarism in the thesis. If no plagiarism is found in the paper, the supervisor makes a note of this in his report. If plagiarism is confirmed or suspected by the supervisor, the issue shall be considered in accordance with Article 7 of this Rule.
- In case of textual coincidence in a scientific article, publication, report or textbook by the anti-plagiarism electronic program, the relevant department / study-scientific center checks and prepares a report on the existence of plagiarism. If plagiarism is not found in a scientific article, publication, report or textbook, the relevant department / study-scientific center makes a note in the report. If the relevant department / study-scientific center confirms the existence or presumption of plagiarism, the issue will be considered in accordance with Article 7 of this Rule.
Article 7. Confirmation of plagiarism and relevant sanction
- In case of plagiarism, a commission is formed by the order of Rector, which will be staffed with qualified specialists in the relevant field, both from the staff of Gori University (if there is no conflict of interest) as well as outsiders.
- The commission will develop the procedure of the case and after clarifying the case, will issue the relevant conclusion within no more than 10 calendar days after the issuance of the order. The work of the commission should be confidential and should not damage the prestige of the student staff until plagiarism is confirmed.
- The Commission is accountable to the Rector of Gori University. The conclusion of the commission shall be notified to the person violating the request (hereinafter referred to as the “violator”), as well as to other persons related to the case.
- The violator is given the opportunity to appear before the commission in response. In case the violation is not confirmed, the Rector and the relevant faculty / department will activate all the mechanisms to restore the scientific reputation of the person.
- In case of confirmation of the fact of violation of the person referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article, the severity of the violation may be determined by the University's internal regulations and the Code of Ethics and the norms of disciplinary responsibility in accordance with the rules established by law.
- Due to the fact of plagiarism, it is inadmissible to re-submit a master's thesis removed from public defend or a revised version of it.
Article 8. Final Provisions
- Changes and additions to the mentioned rule are made by the resolution of the Academic Council of Gori University.
- Students and staff are obliged to get acquainted with this rule, and the administration is obliged to place the document on the website of Gori University